No Mackinac doesn’t shut down in the winter. It is limited though. This podcast I go into what all is available and what to do.https://www.mackinacisland.org/mackinac-island-winter-season/
The island has actually started having more lodging options available year round. December has a few fun events to consider looking into. They are:
- Christmas Bazaar 12/2-12/4
- Christmas Tree Lighting 12/2 at 5:30
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas 12/3
- Live music with Gabi Bowditch & Melissa Wickson 12/2-12/3 at Kingston Kitchen
- New Years Eve Great Turtle Drop
If you want to visit the island know that if ferries are not running there are flights to the island or you can be brave and go across the ice on a snowmobile.
This is a great time to be able to truly see the island in complete peace and quiet. Highly recommend.
Also learn how the island gets electricity ⚡️